Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Quotes: Wisdom, Inspiration, Transformation



 

 
by Janet M. Shlaes, Ph.D.

I have been a collector of quotes for the past 20 years and have compiled numerous journals filled with quotations that spoke directly to me at the time and moved me in ways beyond my comprehension. Perhaps you have also had the experience of being moved or inspired by a quote.  The author Cheryl Strayed refers to quotes as “mini-instruction manuals for the soul.” Quotes can find us in joy, sorrow, confusion and a myriad of other feelings, providing us with the exact words that we need to hear at the time to move us into a place of reflection, understanding, resource gathering and ultimate action.

The meaning of quotes that engage and inform is unique, rather than one size fits all. I have found that the same quote, when revisited over time, provides a variety of new insights and meanings. I am continually amused by what wasn’t seen before in the words. Timing is essential in our self-awareness and understanding of self and others; quotes provide the depth and breadth of possibilities often hidden between the words.

For the next month, 30 days to be exact, I’ll be sharing some of my favorite quotes and my experiences with them. My vision is that these quotes will speak to you in a personal manner, providing you with any wisdom you might seek in the moment. Every quote we encounter, when we allow ourselves to fully engage with the essence of the words, provides the opportunity to gain inner and outer wisdom. I hope you enjoy this journey with me.

Janet

For addition insights and observations, check out the following posts:



No comments:

Post a Comment