Sunday, July 3, 2016

Redirection



Redirection

by Janet Shlaes, Ph.D.

“As I look back on my life, I realize that every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being re-directed to something better.”

~ Steve Maraboli

Have you ever had the experience of not getting what you wanted, only to discover years later that this experience ultimately led you to something wonderful? Perhaps it was a job that you interviewed for, a school that you applied for and failed to get accepted, or even a relationship you desired that didn’t work out. Steven Jobs, in his 2005 Stanford University commencement address talked about “connecting the dots” in your life narrative, specifically regarding understanding the unfolding of life events. He elaborates that you can only understand your particular unfolding through looking backwards. According to Steve, it’s almost impossible to fully understand your life experiences in the present moment. Utilizing Steve’s wisdom, when I think about the various circumstances and relationships that didn’t work out as desired, I feel extraordinarily grateful for how these “disappointments” ultimately led me to people, places and life adventures that were immensely gratifying. I invite you to take a backwards view of your life, noticing the occasions where what didn’t work out ultimately turned into something better suited for the unique and glorious person you were becoming.

Janet

For addition insights and observations, check out the following posts:


Embracing "Good Enough"

Breakdown to Breakthrough

No comments:

Post a Comment