Saturday, July 2, 2016

Pay Attention




Pay Attention

by Janet Shlaes, Ph.D.

“When you really pay attention, everything is your teacher.”

~ Ezra Bayda

As someone who is passionate about learning, I am increasingly aware that, when I am fully present, learning opportunities abound. They exist in my ever changing mood and energy level, in every book or article that I read and in every interpersonal encounter. Some learning opportunities are pleasant, especially when they involve getting to the heart and soul of someone; others are particularly challenging and sometimes painful, primarily encounters that trigger old wounds. With the wisdom gained from journeying through many life experiences, I have learned that in every encounter, there is a choice – to stay stuck in the past or to embrace the learning opportunity unfolding in the present.  I have found that this approach, although not always such an easy one, is definitely worth the effort. I invite you to join me in paying attention, to being fully present in each encounter and to embracing a lifestyle of lifelong learning. Where in your life could this approach make a significant difference?

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment