Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Interrelationship: Day 26 - 30 Day Challenge


Many years ago, I received the gift of participating in a mindfulness meditation retreat in California led by Thich Nhat Hanh. He is lovingly known to his students as Thay, the Vietnamese word for “master” or “teacher.” The retreat was transformative in ways that are still unfolding in various areas of my life. I can still feel the warmth of the sun as we participated in walking meditation on the beach and hear Thay’s gentle voice giving his twice daily dharma talks. What an amazing experience in every way possible. Today and tomorrow’s posts will speak to several of his teachings that profoundly resonated with me on the retreat. Thay’s dharma talk on the impact of “Flowers and Garbage” in our lives is illustrated in his poem below:

INTERRELATIONSHIP

 You are me, and I am you.
Isn't it obvious that we "inter-are"?
You cultivate the flower in yourself,
so that I will be beautiful.
I transform the garbage in myself,
so that you will not have to suffer.

I support you;
you support me.
I am in this world to offer you peace;
you are in this world to bring me joy.

 ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

 
In his dharma talk, Thay addressed the reality that we all have aspects of flowers and garbage in our lives. Sometimes, what may seem like garbage may actually be an exquisite flower on the verge of blossoming.
 
Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment