Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Time, Technology, Core Values and Busy



by Janet M. Shlaes, Ph.D.

“When we do not do the one thing we ought to do, we have no time for anything else – we are the busiest people in the world.”  ~ Eric Hoffer

Our world is filled with ongoing technological advancements, resulting in the capacity to instantly connect with information and generate global relationships. This capacity is expanding at an accelerated pace. I have an ambivalent relationship with time and technology. Perhaps you do as well. On the one hand, I love how technology enhances the work that I do, the ease in which I do it and the amazing access to information and global relationships that it provides. On the other hand, technology can be both seductive and a great distractor; it can provide the illusion of moving forward when, in reality, you’re like a hamster on a spinning wheel to nowhere.

How do I personally resolve this highly ambivalent relationship? One approach that works for me is taking the time on a regular basis to step back, envision, articulate, connect and commit to my core values. This requires intention and action. I find that the results are worth it in terms of consciously making choices that support my core values and my personal life vision.

Being busy is inevitable in a world that moves at an accelerated pace. What are your core values and how can you honor them in your daily choices?

Janet

For addition observations regarding the reality of “busy,” check out the following post:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment